In the Houston Area, it’s common to encounter patients who speak Spanish, but little or no English. If you are bilingual and looking for a medical office or administrative position, you’ll find no limit to the number of opportunities available.
More than 30 million Spanish speakers live in the U.S., with many millions more speaking other languages. People with limited English proficiency often avoid seeking medical attention until their condition is quite dire because they fear that no one at the doctor’s office will understand them and be able to help.
How Can Your Bilingual Abilities Help Your Job Search?
Any patient-facing position can use bilingual workers. You may be the first person patients see in very stressful times like emergency room visits. Your language skills can help to make the patient experience positive. Employers are willing to pay a premium for bilingual associates, so leverage your language skills to increase your pay potential.
Educational requirements for these jobs may vary from a high school diploma to an associate or bachelor’s degree. Employers are likely to be flexible on educational requirements as long as your office and language skills are above par.
- Written and verbal fluency in two or more languages
- Effective communication skills on the phone, in writing and via email
- Ability to keep patient information confidential
- Computer and basic office skills
- Organized, efficient, adaptable
- Positive, friendly, professional attitude
Job responsibilities may include:
- Assisting with scheduling appointments and collecting co-pays
- Greeting patients and visitors in a friendly and professional manner
- Verifying patient insurance information and obtaining authorizations
- Coordinating with clinic staff to maintain patient flow
- Ensuring a pleasant waiting room experience
- Seeing that patient needs are met and questions answered
- Responding to patient inquiries and completing tasks in a timely manner
- Ensuring invoices and co-pays are paid on time
- Answering telephones and forwarding telephone messages, translating as needed
Where can I find professional bilingual healthcare opportunities?
- Partner with Team1Medical! We help healthcare professionals find great jobs throughout the Houston, TX area. For a complete listing of healthcare opportunities in the greater Houston area, browse our job openings or contact us today!
Take a look at these current open bilingual positions on our job board:
- Bilingual Medical Office Specialist Jobs in Houston, TX
- Bilingual Medical Scheduler Jobs in Houston, TX
- Bilingual Accounts Payable Coordinator Jobs in Houston, TX