According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), demand for Medical Assistants is expected to rise by 29 percent by the year 2022, a substantially higher rate of increase than the average. And with median pay hovering near $30,000, it can be a great starting point to launch your career in the medical field.
Where can Medical Assistants work?
The vast majority of Medical Assistants work in physician offices, but they can also be found in hospitals, outpatient surgical centers and clinics, nursing homes and schools. The highest paying positions are often in research and development facilities or with insurance carriers where the salary can be five or six thousand more than the $30k median.
Duties of a Medical Assistant may include:
- Obtaining vitals and history
- Communicating lab and test results
- Assisting with procedures
- Stocking and cleaning exam rooms
- Processing insurance claims
What is required to become a Medical Assistant?
Medical Assistants should have strong analytic and interpersonal skills and be detail oriented in order to accurately record information. Post-secondary education is not required, but certifications are available, including:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) program from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) from the American Medical Technologists (AMT).
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) from the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) from the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
(for more information on these certifications, see the Occupational Outlook Handbook on the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) website).
Certifications may serve to make you more marketable, and they are also becoming a national recruitment, in addition to the extensive training that will occur on the job. New Medical Assistants will need to learn:
- Medical terminology
- Instrument names
- Patient interaction
- Paper and electronic coding
Here are just a few current Medical Assistant job openings at Team1Medical!
For a complete listing of our Medical Assistant opportunities in the greater Houston area, browse our job board today! We look forward to helping you advance your healthcare career.